Food plays a big role in setting up the mood for some lovin’. However, when the budget is tight, it is always a good alternative to prepare a home-cooked meal rather than eating out. In this case, it is more economical. Furthermore, it also spares you from the long lines at restaurants.
Appetizer: Buttered Garlic Mushroom
- 1 can of sliced mushroom (liquid drained)
- 1 tablespoon of Oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Half stick of butter
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Cost: 100 PHP
- Heat the pan, and add a tablespoon of oil.
- Add the cloves of garlic and sauté it.
- Add the butter and wait for it to melt.
- Next, add the sliced mushroom once the garlic turns light brown
- Lastly, cover for at least 1-2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
Like it hot? Throw in some sun dried chili. Chili is a known aphrodisiac. Yoohoo 😁
Main course: Salt and Pepper Chicken
- 1 Kilo deboned chicken thighs or chicken breast fillet skin or any chopped chicken part (leg, wing, thigh, etc.) will do
- Soy Sauce 2 Tablespoons
- Salt 2 Teaspoon
- Fine black pepper powder 2 Teaspoon
- White pepper powder 2 Teaspoon
- Garlic powder 2 Teaspoon
- 1/2 Teaspoon of five spice (optional)
- Japanese rice vinegar / or apple cider 2 Tablespoon
- 2 Cups of flour 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
Cost: 300 PHP
- Marinade chicken in 2 tablespoons of soy, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon white pepper, and 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar/apple cider. Marinade for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Mix 2 cups of flour and 1/2 cornstarch. Afterward, add the remaining salt, pepper, garlic powder and five spice powder. Mix well together.
Prepare the garnish using green and red chilli.
- Mix rice vinegar with a little bit of sugar, chopped chilli, salt and pepper as the dipping sauce.
- After marinating the chicken, dredge the pieces with the flour and cornstarch coating mix and dip it in the beaten egg.
- Preheat the wok and turn the fire to low heat as soon as the wok starts to smoke.
- Heat enough cooking oil to cover all of the pieces of chicken during frying.
- Once the oil is hot, deep fry the flour and egg coated chicken pieces until light golden brown.
- Strain and set aside. Refry these again after the basil has been fried. On the same wok, add the washed basil leaves and fry.
- Once the leaves have turned in to a deep shade of green, remove from oil and place in a strainer. Pat with tissue.
- Put the chicken back into the wok and fry a little more until a darker shade of golden brown. Remove chicken and drain, pat with tissue to remove excess oil.
- Arrange the cooked chicken in a plate and top it with sliced chilli and basil.
- Mix salt, white &black pepper in a bowl, and then sprinkle on top of chicken. Serve with steamed rice.
Dessert: Mango Graham Cake
- 1 Can of condensed milk
- 2 Packs of All-purpose cream
- 1 Pack of dried mangoes (diced)
- 2 Pieces of fresh mango (sliced)
- A pack of graham cookies/ crackers
- A pack of crushed
- Stick of unsalted butter
Cost 300-350 PHP
Transfer condensed milk and all-purpose cream and a half cup of dried mangoes in a container. Mix together, cover and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Melt butter in a pan, slowly add 2 cups of crushed graham and mix with melted butter. Make sure that mixture is moist. Press the crushed graham to the bottom of a pan.
Once the cream and condensed milk mixture have thickened, scoop 2 cups of mixture on top of the crushed graham crust. Layer with graham crackers, then alternate with the cream and milk mixture. On the last layer of cream, add the fresh mango slices and sprinkle the remaining crushed graham. Put back in the freezer to chill.
Life is great when you have great